Friday, February 15, 2008

Waking and baking in Goa


I'm currently in Palolem in southern Goa. I fly to Mumbai tomorrow and I can't believe I ever have to leave this place. I know all the criticisms - that it's touristy, that it's not real India. That's true! But it's still such a fun place, I've had an absolute blast. The people here are just so interesting, there's a very weird mixture of hippies, party animals, and stoneheads. There is so much weed here, it's smoked so openly in the bars and everything. And the pubs and clubs are so mad, hence the fact that I am hungover as hell! As well as this, the beach is gorgeous, all the beach huts and bars don't detract from it. It's a wonderful curved bay, with some islands near the coast, and the whole place is fringed with palm trees. And yesterday we started our evening by watching the sun set from a balcony of one of the bars. I tried to capture just how gorgeous it was with this picture - aren't the colours incredible!
My beach hut is great as well - it's called Dreamcatcher and it's so peaceful. It's run by these great guys who are so cool and as genuine hippies as I have ever met, and one of them played the guitar for us yesterday evening before we went out. He played beautiful acoustic versions of '"Visions of Johanna", "House of the Rising Sun", and, randomly, "Roxanne" which actually worked really well! Everyone in the bar stopped to listen and it was a wonderful moment.
I said I didn't want to go home. He said why didn't I stay. I said I had to go home. And then he said - you don't have to do anything. If you want to stay, stay. What are you going home for? I told him about uni (he seemed quite suprised that I might be a doctor in the summer - I don't think I had been looking or acting very GMC - congruent!) I thought about it. So many of the people here come and never leave. At the moment, I want to do the same more than I would have ever thought possible.
But I'm off to pack my things now. My life doesn't give me the option of the hippy trail at the moment.

No comments: