Thursday, January 31, 2008

With aching legs she sits and types

"Yoga, an ancient but perfect science, deals with the evolution of humanity. This evolution includes all aspects of one's being, from bodily health to self-realization. Yoga means union - the union of body with consciousness and consciousness with the soul. Yoga cultivates the ways of maintaining a balanced attitude in day-to-day life and endows skill in the performance of one's actions."

- B.K.S. Iyengar

We've been doing yoga classes at the nearby centre every morning at 6.30. This is going to sound like the biggest cliche, but it's the best way to begin the day that I know of. It's dark when we get there but as we start, the sun rises over the mountains and makes the sky go a delicious yellow. The light comes through the windows and lights us with a Vermeer-like glow. I'm feeling very healthy - although that could be the diet that's exclusively vegetarian with no desserts!

On an aside, I'm awfully glad to read about how Barack Obama is doing so well. I'm not a huge fan of anyone in American politics (sorry if that sounds too cynical!) but I think he's the best hope there! I read the funniest article in the Guardian today . http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,2249501,00.html It made me chuckle! But yes, I generally don't think much of many US administrations dating back a while. I'm reading "A Prayer for Owen Meany" at the moment - John Irving's best book, in my opinion - and it's amazing how if you substitute the word Vietnam for Iraq you would have a story that could be about now! But hey, here's hoping Obama gets in and does some of the great things he's promised.

No comments: