Sunday, September 14, 2008

The House of God


Two of the patients on the ward are now only in hospital because they broke their osteoporotic bones whilst an inpatient for other problems. I don't describe them as gomers, but they sure went to ground. The House Of God is as relevent as it ever was. And Rule 13 will always be my favourite.
Bodies by Jed Mercurio though - this is my book of the moment. Blistering, visceral, disgusting, beautiful, genius. One of my friends maintains that he is a twat for feeling this way about medicine. But I think the training, and especially the work, has the potential to change who a person is to a huge extent. And I don't think it's often a positive change. Positive in the sense that they can function better as doctors, maybe, but I think everyone in medicine loses a certain amount of compassion and empathy. It's survival. I know I have. Things still have the ability to get to me - Pale Boy a few posts back - but it's not often now.

No comments: