Saturday, August 2, 2008

Signing


A General Surgery clinic, years ago right at the beginning of my clinical training. I had been assigned the Professor of Surgery at the large teaching hospital that I had been placed. He was a formidible man - an obviously talented surgeon - the go-to guy that everyone relied on to rescue the sickest patients from their bleeds and cancers and perforations. I respected him so so much for his dedication and exacting standards, even if it meant feeling very very stupid for a lot of the time! I still am glad it was my first rotation, as he drummed into me what high standards I should keep for myself.


However, he was in medicine for the excitement of his surgery and his research. He didn't really like patients, and was interested in them only as a potential cut. So when a deaf man came into the clinic, I grimaced inside. I knew exactly how this was going to turn out.


"God, deaf! You take a history, I don't have time for this."


I dutifully go. Begin by calling out his name in the waiting room - mentally slap myself. Go up to him and touch his arm to get his attention, then say hello. He smiles and comes with me to the room. I say hello again, trying to be as friendly as I can. I ask "do you lip read?" whilst pointing at my lips. He understands, but shakes his head, and gestures with his hands that he just signs. I get out my notebook and we do the whole history by paper.


I find the surgeon again and present the history of the man's problems. He listens, comes in, and speaks loudly to the man - "Where is your pain?" The man makes the gesture that I am sure he has made every day of his life - hand to ear, shaking his head. As Prof asks each question, I show the man where I wrote the question in my notebook. Prof carries on examining the man. Explains what he thinks may be wrong in the same load slow voice, finishing with "So go for an ultrasound now, I'll see you again." The man looks at me, a little confused by now as to why this man keeps on talking to him. Prof leaves. I look at the man, trying not to mirror his amusement and rolling of eyes. I get out my notebook again.


So, this is why I am doing sign language classes! I have had very very little success with remembering anything at all so far, but I have read it takes years. Also, to actually do any good and to be able to take a history, I would need to get really quite fluent. Maybe one day.


No comments: